The weather is surfing between Spring and snow day by day. Easing me into an early spring transition (I think he saw his shadow) are light (yet hearty) veggie packed grain bowls for dinner. Sorry Sweetgreen, I just need to express myself.
This darling dinner stemmed from one ingredient and took a dance from there. Blood orange is showcased with kumquats, raw and roasted fennel, bitter radicchio, baby kale, simply cooked farro, feta if you please and a side of avocado. This is all made possible by my favorite pistachio mint pesto that is so good, you will want to use it on everything.
Pistachio Mint Pesto
1-1.5 cups Mint Leaves
1 Tbsp Fennel Frawns
1/3 cup Tarragon Leaves
3/4 cup Pistachios
1 tsp Dried Rose Petals
1.5 Tbsp Tahini Paste
2 Garlic Cloves
1. In a 350F oven toast pistachios for 7 minutes.
2. Zest 1 lemon on top of pile of fresh herbs.
3. Sprinkle on salt and pepper and add garlic cloves to herbs.
4. Once pistachios have cooled add to herb pile and begin to chop the entire mixture.
5. Continue chopping until mixture is fine.
6. Place in a bowl and add the juice of one lemon, tahinni and 1/3 cup olive oil to start.
7. Stir together and taste for seasoning. Add additional salt, pepper or olive oil.
3/4 cup uncooked Farro
2.25 cups Water
1. Bring water and farro to a boil.
2. Continue to simmer on low for ten minutes.
3. Turn heat off and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
1 Fennel bulb
2 Blood oranges
1 head radicchio
2 cups cooked Farro
1 Kumquat, sliced into thin disks.
2 cups Baby Kale
1. Cut fennel bulb in half removing stalks. Cut one half of bulb into wedges, the size of an apple wedge.
2. Toss in olive oil and place under broiler for 5 minutes each side.
3. Meanwhile remove the skin of the blood orange with a sharp knife and cut supremes.
4. Cut radicchio in half removing white core. Cut each 1/4 head of radicchio into thirds.
5. Toss baby kale with pesto.
6. Place 1 cup cooked grains at bottom of bowl. Pile dressed kale on top.
7. Place a handful of radicchio on top with raw fennel slices, roasted fennel, kumquats and blood oranges.
8. Place a generous dollop(s) of pesto on top and sprinkle feta if you please.
Serve with a half an avocado because that is always a good idea.