Fresh. Just as the seasons start to truly explode and you are in a daily dilema of hot or ice coffee.
Blistered cherry tomatoes are dead simple and oh so satisfying when tossed with soft and silky fresh pasta. I love dried pasta generally, however there are applications for fresh pasta that I can't live without. (not to mention fresh pasta cooks in three minutes)
Sure, you can pull up any pesto recipe from this site or buy a high quality. This pesto below is heavy on the lemon zest and herbs with pecorino. The goal is to have a pasta laced with blistered tomatoes with their juice in extra virgin olive oil alongside a light toss of fresh pesto.
Zest of 2 Lemons
Juice of 1 Lemon
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
2 cups Basil Leaves
1/2 cup Parsley Leaves
1/2 cup mint leaves
1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
1/3 cup Grated Pecorino Romano
1. On a large cutting board pile herbs, lemon zest and garlic together.
2. Chop until fine
3. Whisk together herbs with lemon juice, salt, pepper and olive oil.
4. Stir in cheese and set aside.
Blistered Cherry Tomatoes
1 Box Cherry Tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a flat bottomed skilled until it ripples (is hot but not smoking)
2. Carefully add cherry tomatoes to hot oil off of the heat.
3. Toss on heat until tomatoes blister.
4. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
1 Box Fresh Fettuccine
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
2. Season with salt and cook pasta for 3 minutes (according to directions)
3. Drain pasta and immediately toss hot pasta with fresh chopped pesto.
4. Add tomatoes with all of the oil and juice to the pasta and toss gently to combine.
5. Serve with pine nuts sprinkled on top.